Delicious succulent slow cooked pork, if you’ve ever made it in any form, you know the hardest part is not to slip on the pool of drool you left smelling it in the air as it cooks for hours.
This simple recipe replaces the traditional pork seasoning in favor of a secret ingredient you might of never considered. The secret is…come closer….closer Dr. Pepper. You might be thinking soda is only for drinking, or maybe more recently only for everything but consuming, but it infact makes for the most amazing savory sweet pork dish I’ve ever had!
This dish is so easy to make it may change the way you cook in general. You can toss the ingredients in early in the morning, and just wait while the magic happens.
The brilliant ladies over at Spend With Pennies threw this crock pot concoction together with ease, and even suggests alternatives if you aren’t a fan of DP. That’s Dr. Pepper if your minds in the gutter (or maybe mines just is). My craving for a pulled pork sandwich and a side of coleslaw is kicking in.
The ingredients for this super simple slow cooker recipe are below:
- 1 pork butt/shoulder roast
- 1 onion sliced
- 1 can of Dr. Pepper
- 3/4 cup barbecue sauce
- Salt, pepper and garlic powder to taste
The instructions are below:
- Place the onion in the bottom of the slow cooker. Rub the outside of the roast with salt, pepper and garlic powder.
- Pour the Dr. Pepper over the meat and cook on high for 4-5 hours or on low for 7-8 hours.
- Using forks, shred the pork and place back in the juices.
- Add barbecue sauce to taste. Allow to cook for an additional 30 minutes if desired.
- Serve on fresh rolls with cole slaw and enjoy!
Need some visuals of the deliciousness you’re about to effortlessly make? Check out the video below! The recipe and instructions differ a bit, but this guy knows his stuff.
Let us know how your version of this savory and sweet pork turned out!
Don’t forget to SHARE with friends and family!